Do You Feel a Need for Speed on the Open Water?
If so, you also have a need for right insurance protection! Now that you own your personal watercraft (PWC), it’s time for some fun in the sun. But first, you’ll want to know about all the ways your PWC policy allows you to stay protected, including bodily injury, property damage and theft.
Personal Watercraft (PWC) Coverage may cover the following:
- Bodily injury to yourself, another rider, or swimmer injured in your path
- Property damage to items such as docks, other PWCs or boats
- Guest passenger liability
- Medical payments
- Theft of your personal watercraft
A typical policy will include a $250 deductible for property damage, $500 for theft and $1,000 for medical payments. Liability starts at $15,000 and can increase to $300,000 to provide you and your family the financial protection you need in case your PWC is involved in an accident.
In addition, most policies include Water Sports Liability, which provides protection when you engage in sporting activities such as waterskiing, knee boarding or tubing.
Additional Liability Coverage
You may also want to consider purchasing a Personal Umbrella Insurance policy connected to your Homeowners or Automobile Insurance policy to give you additional liability protection. This coverage will provide you $1 million in additional coverage at an affordable price.
Personal Watercraft Safety
- Do not drive a PWC directly behind another PWC in the water. Instead, stay at least 100 yards behind another vessel in front of you and at least 50 yards away from someone on each side. Since you can travel at high speeds on a PWC, staying a safe distance from others will help you avoid a collision.
- Do not jump a wake created by a passing boat. In doing so, you could potentially misjudge the boat’s speed and cause a collision. The wake may also push you into the traffic path of other vehicles coming from the opposite direction.
- Remain constantly alert of what is going on around you as you ride. Avoid other PWCs, swimmers, boats, divers and fishers. Sharing the open water with others will make for a more enjoyable experience for everyone.
Count on Us!
Thrill-seeking on the open water can be unpredictable, but your coverage shouldn’t be. Make sure your PWC is properly protected by calling ERM Insurance Brokers today at 949-222-0444 to learn more about all of our insurance solutions for all of your recreational, home and auto needs.
Serving Orange County and Los Angeles.